Monday, May 21, 2012

Volcano!

I found an easy way to make a volcano on Pinterest a few weeks ago, and the little girls and I gave it a shot.

You take a cup, some red sprinkles for the lava mixed with 1/4 cup baking soda,
 Add 1/4 cup of vinegar, and it ERUPTS!!
Sophie is really hoping Delaney knows what she is doing.

We just made a little one and followed the directions carefully, since I wasn't sure if it would work, or what would happen. It worked perfectly!

Delaney thought the ERUPTION!! was fantastic. Soph was outta there!


Delaney is going to build a mud volcano next, and we are going to make it ERUPT!!! (You have to YELL "erupt". It's just not as much fun unless you do.)


We are going to visit Sunset Crater again sometime soon, and I would like Delaney and Hailey to be able to visualize and understand what happened there. We are going to learn a little more about how volcanoes actually work, then try this experiment, which will be an amazing 3-D way to see how a volcano erupts (ERUPTS!).

(The blog that this idea came from, http://preschoolalphabet.blogspot.com, is a really fun blog, and has some other great ideas too. You should check it out!)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! Thanks so much for leaving a link in your comment! We're planning to visit Crater Lake (Oregon) this summer. I may have to try that storm in a cup experiment you linked to. My kids would be amazed (me too!)
    Enjoy your sunny weather!
    Lindsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was seriously just thinking about this the other day, and planning to try and look up a simple volcano to do with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad! It happens so instantly...the kids will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, opinions and ideas!

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com